Memorial Day Hours:
Who are you remembering this weekend? As for me, I'm remembering my great uncle, George Kitcher, KIA March 20th, 1945 as the 253rd of the 63rd ID broke through the Siegfried Line.
- 10AM-12PM - Travis Champion Fritz will be hosting Murph. Come on in, get warmed up and hit this Hero WOD.
- 7:30PM - The next On Ramp Class Starts [sign up now]
Muscle Up Clinic This Weekend
- What: Muscle Up Clinic
- Where: CrossFit Davis
- When: 11:30AM-1:30AM
- Who: UC Davis Sports Hall of Fame inductee and former UC Davis Head Gymnastics Coach Ray Goldbar
- Fee: $25 at the door
- RSVP via Facebook here
- We're sure you noticed, but let's hear it for our two newest coaches -- Andrew Wike and Kirsten Anderson! Kirsten also just got CrossFit Kids Certified this past weekend and will be heading up our CrossFit Kids program (starting soon -- stay posted) and taking the lead training the Davis Aquadarts swim team.
- The two of them have also been booking up fast with small group and personal training -- get a hold of them by email by clicking on their linked names above.
- Congratulations to Dr. Cait Milazzo for earning her Ph.D. from UC Davis this past week! Way to go Cait!
- Sarah C., Ngoc and Nav are all UC Davis Law School grads and prepping for the Bar. Sooo proud of you!
- Travis Champion-Fritz landed a 145 lb snatch yesterday for a new personal record! (PR!) Nice work, man!
- Chris Lambertus is on his way to overhead squat mastery!
- Kirsten Anderson is on her way to Handstand Push Up mastery!
- Lorne Sachs landed an 8 kg weighted muscle up! Because, why not?
- Maiya Chard-Yaron reclaimed the CFD Ladies Deadlift Championship Belt with a pull of 300 lbs earlier this week
- Fortitude: Carolyn Wood refuses to give in to her knee issue and has resolved to train around it and just keep showing up, like she always does.
- Ana Apostal, Matt Talbot and Melinda Coursen all jerked more than they ever jerked before. Turns out Ana finds lifting between jerk boxes comforting. A snug little jerk hideout.
- Say "Hi!" to new members Amy Chow & Drew Shempp, Rick Boyle, Lisa Singer and this awesome crew of graduated On Rampers -- Jennifer Wagstaff, Susan Gilik, Nikki McCurry and Erin Piper. We're soooo excited to see what you accomplish in the next months / year!
Affiliate Cup - Regionals
- Huge props to Jonji Barber, Alex Haussermann and Sarah Compton for their epic efforts throughout the CF Games Open and getting us to Regionals. Timing is everything and the timing of the Regionals just does not play nicely with undergrad finals and California Bar prep. Wish you guys could have made it :(
- Erica Ballinger has stepped up to fill the big shoes of Sarah Compton as a member of CFD's Affiliate Cup Team that is heading to the regionals. Way to go Erica - you earned the spot with those great performances during the Open WODs!
- We hope to see you all down in San Jose next weekend rooting for these CFD-ers...:
...as they lay it all out during the CrossFit Regional Competition at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds in San Jose on June 3rd, 4th and 5th. Epicness to ensue.
Whoa - Curveball
Scaling Option 1 - Novice
50-75 Pull ups
50-75 Push ups
50-75 Sit ups
Sit ups should either be Ab Mat or full range anchored sit ups
Option 2 - Beginners
20 Pull-ups or 25 Beginner or Assisted Pull ups
20 Push-ups or 30 Box Push ups or 35 Wall Push ups
20 Sit ups (do not do crunches)
20-50 Squats (depending on ability)
- CFD's Steve Gray will be heading directly to the CrossFit Games with his 19th overall finish in the 60+ masters category!
- Nigel Noriega has won the right to compete at the Regionals as an individual!
- CrossFit Davis is moving on to the Regional Affiliate Cup Competition!
SO AWESOME! Thanks to everyone for making the 2011 Open Qualifier great!
Nigel - Regionals Bound!
Steve Gray -- Heading to the CrossFit Games to compete in the 60+ masters category
- It should be noted that these strength charts a applicable to the slow lifts -- squat, deadlift, press and the like.
- Power vs Slow: Power exercises like the clean, jerk and snatch don't fall so neatly into these numbers. For example, when the assigned load is 80-90% for a clean -- we're generally looking for a single...and in some circumstances a double. If it were a backsquat, the charts tell us we are looking at 8 to 4 reps.
- Power Output: So, how can you increase your power output on a movement like a backsquat? Well...there's a lot of weightlifting and powerlifting data out there that indicates power output increases as the weight lifted decreases from 100% of the 1RM. In fact, for the backsquat in question, power output for a load at 90% of the 1RM can be TWICE as hish as the the 1RM load due to a significant decrease in time to complete the exercise.
- Metcon loading: For metcons -- when you go rx'd you're basically saying you're going with 50-60% or less of your 1RM for a given movement. So, the rx'd 225lbs for Diane means you should have around a 400lb deadlift or more.
- Load Increases: Conservatively -- if you can get two or more reps over the assigned repetition goal in the last set for two workouts -- increase the load for the next workout for all sets. So -- this means that if you are on your last set of say, backsquat and the goal was to hit 5 reps and you feel good and that you have more left in you...make the extra attempt(s). If you get them, congratulations, you are getting stronger!
Later on today -- the website for the 2011 CrossFit Games Open Qualifier will go live.
We want ALL of you to register and get an official score. It just costs $10 -- that is waaay cheaper than having to drive to San Jose and get a hotel plus a $50 dollar registration feel. This year, the barrier to entry is minimal and a little competition is going to do you some good! It might just be what you need to kick things to the next level. We see it happen all the time.
March 15th kicks off the WODs and we'll be holding our first official qualifier WOD on every Saturday starting on March 19th at 11:15AM.
For our members it's going to be free. For solo CrossFitters out there looking to get a valid score for the open -- the fee will be $20.00 per WOD.
Members and Non-Members will register by sending us an
stating they want to compete that day.
Here's a bunch of links with the info we have so far about the Open Qualifier:
Check out these posts for more details:
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>
Page 6 of 55